Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ivy's First haircut!

What is it about a little girl's hair? Why do we cherish that little baby hair from their first haircut, keep it in an envelope, and put it in a baby book?

Well, I don't know the answers to these difficult questions, but I do know that Ivy's hair has a story to tell.

Ivy was born with a ton of hair. The nurses called it "golden" and it was curly, like Lizzie's was. When her hair started to grow in, for some reason it grew extra long and extra fast on the right side in the front. And of course, it grew into a blond ringlet. It was completely out of balance with the rest of her hair. Did I cut it? No! I knew that eventually she would either become an Ashkenasi Jew and it would save her the trouble of years of growing out side ringlets, or it would all eventually grow in and even out.

Which it did. It grew and it grew and it grew. And pretty soon, everyone that Ivy met thought she was at least a year older than she was because she had so much dang hair!

I loved it when people would ask me if I curled it or if it was naturally curly. Who are you kidding? Who would actually curl a 2-year-old's hair, and what 2-year-old would sit still for it!

Truth be told, I am a chicken. I was all set to give Ivy her first haircut about 2 months ago. She needed it! She was all ready, in my bathroom, on a tall chair, hair brushed out, scissors in my hand. And...I chickened out! I couldn't make the first cut! Good thing I never tried to be a surgeon! Thankfully, Cindy McCook got the job done for me today.

Here's the Before picture: (sorry it's not great - she wasn't happy about this hair "cut," and so she was throwing a sobbing tantrum most of the time. Hard to get a good shotwhen there are flailing limbs, tears, and scissors all in the same room!)

And the After: (She got two new bows to put in her new hair)
And here's an Ode to Ivy's Best 'Do's in Days Gone By:


Little babykins with beginnings of curls to come

Just wispies for now.


This is Ivy at an ivy league school (John's graduation from Yale). And she has ivy on her jacket. And there was lots of real ivy vines there. I love themes!

Also, notice the curl forming on the right side of her head - you thought I made that up, didn't you?


This is one of my favorite pictures of Ivy. The girl's got curls!


1st Birthday hair


Dr. Suess 'do


Halloween 2006



Christmas Ivy. The left side has still not caught up with the right side yet. But don't tell Ivy. She doesn't know.


Who says you can't have outlandish hair while you eat chicken nuggets?



Crazy hair!


Halloween 2007. Growing longer and longer!


Fancy Hair



Glamour shot at Little League


Blurry, but Long!

3 comments:

crazycool Steenhoeks said...

Oh, We all love little Ivy. What a perfect little doll she is. With hair to match! Love all the photo's

Darcie said...

She is such an adorable little gal! Congrats to Ivy on her big cut.

Menner said...

How cute is she! Oh, Aimee, pictures like this make me wish I was your neighbor and could see what a fun mom you are in person.