Friday, September 19, 2008

Couple of Book Reviews

March March by Geraldine Brooks


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Beautifully written book about what the father of the March family was doing during "Little Women." Very eye-opening about the Civil War - I appreciated all the research that went into it. I loved how she threw a "rose-colored glasses" idealist into an impossible situation, how he finally came to grips with reality and learned to move on. I found his relationship with Grace believable - until the end. His emotional attachment to her seemed disingenuous to his character.

I liked the chapter that was from Marmee's point of view. So interesting to find out how differently they saw the same event!


View all my reviews.

The Lovely Bones The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
Too grisly and disturbing for me! So much sadness and depression. I found it hard to read because it's yet another book - kind of like The Memory Keeper's Daughter - in which the family seems to have no coping skills and just falls apart completely for decades in the face of tragedy. And it's also similar to The Memory Keeper's Daughter in that both families seemed to have no good friends or extended family to get them through the trials. I think that was a convenience for the authors to make their stories more depressing. But I think real life is very different and much more hopeful.


View all my reviews.

No comments: