Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Eve 2007: A Time to Reminisce

Every New Year's Eve, I try to remember what I did all the previous New Year's Eve's and think, WOW time has really flown by. For example, New Year's Eve, 1999... the Dawning of a new Millennium...

I was 6 months pregnant with our first (maybe we should have named her "Millie"?!), and had just graduated in December in Elementary Education from BYU. I had just finished my student teaching in a first grade class at Hillcrest Elementary in Alpine School District in Orem, Utah. We lived in my cousin's basement in Pleasant Grove, Utah, and Adam had a horrendous job with a horrendous commute at Compeq International up near the Salt Lake Airport.

Adam and I, sensing that our freedom was coming to a close, met up with a bunch of college friends, ate at the Spaghetti Factory, and went to First Night in Salt Lake City. I remember that it was really foggy that night, and we thought the streets looked "bizarro."

Not content to leave the partying at that, we went home to P.G. for a couple hours of sleep and then, before the crack of dawn, we drove to Kennecot Copper Mine to meet my sister Erin and her then-boyfriend Everett Peterson. We wanted to get a good view of the "Sun Dawning on a New Millenium" We also blasted the theme from "2001: A Space Odyssey" ("Also Sprach Zarathustra") from the car stereo while the sun inched its way up.


I admit, it was a bit anti-climactic, but at least I can say I did it in a blog 8 years later!

So, where were you 8 years ago? How did you celebrate the incoming millennium?

1 comment:

Sage said...

We had just moved to New York. So we took the train down to the city with our two little boys, 7 & 4, and went to Times Square with 5 million other people. We left about 9:30pm to go home and watch the ball drop on the internet since we didn't have tv. Recently we found out the terrorists who attacked on 9/11 wanted to attack on 12/31/99. Talk about a close call. It was a memorable night! Thanks for sharing your memory and asking for mine.