Monday, February 2, 2009

Ivy - literally

Ivy is at the age where she takes everything literally! Sometimes it's so cute and funny!

A few examples from last week:

We went to the dentist and she sat in the chair while the hygenist cleaned and polished her teeth and told her how sparkly they were going to be.

We got home several hours later and Ivy asked to look in the mirror and was SO disappointed that her teeth weren't actually "sparkling!"


And then, on Sunday, I was teaching the Primary children a song yesterday in church, and I asked them to zip their lips and listen for a minute first. They obligingly turned up their ears and zipped their lips. Later, I asked them to sing. Ivy's teacher raised her hand and said, "Ivy can't sing! Her lips are still zipped!!" And sure enough, she was sitting there with her lips pressed together until I told her to unzip her lips! Then she could finally sing!

On Wednesday, when we were getting ready for swimming lessons, Ivy was giving me a difficult time, so I said, "Don't you want to learn to swim like Ariel does?" (you know, The Little Mermaid) and that seemed to click with her. So anytime she showed hesitation, I said again - "You can swim like Ariel!" and she'd get right back on track.

So then, just before she went into the pool area, she said - "Wait! Mommy! Where's my tail??" and she was dead serious. She wanted to swim just like Ariel, and she fully expected to turn into a mermaid to do it!

No comments: