Friday, March 7, 2008

Simple Machines give you Power!

As I looked at what I was scheduled to teach our co-op preschool this week, I think I started to hyperventilate: Simple Machines. I knew our group of kids would really enjoy it, but I couldn't help thinking back to Junior High and the class where I received the lowest grade I've ever received. I'm too ashamed to tell you what that grade was, but, it's the same letter that starts the word I thought to myself after I saw it. Anyway, the class was Woodworking, and it involved understanding not only simple machines, but hydraulics and other such complexities. It wasn't happening for me, and I haven't recovered in the physics area since.

But, simple machines must be taught.

Well, I might not be good at physics, but I am good at delegating to talented people, so I got the job done through my much-more physics-minded husband! Adam was on the job, and took the kids through levers, wedges, screws, pulleys, wheels and axles, and gears. They were completely entranced. We used the Super-Hero capes to teach that "machines give you Power that makes work easier" and we had them try to lift the bucket of bricks by themselves, and then put the cape on and try again with a simple machine such as a pulley or a lever. They loved it, and I think they understood the concept! Maybe this will prevent them from having the same experience I had in 7th grade!

At the end, I gave them all a quiz by printing a page of these pictures, and they had to label what simple machine was shown. See how you do on our quiz! :)




2 comments:

Bonnie Wayne said...

Yeah - that DOES sound daunting. I think I would delegate that to Brian. You gotta love those science minded husbands!

Amy said...

I have to admit that the first letter I thought of was surely too awful for you to have even thought...then it occurred to me which one you really meant. Oops! What kindergarten is Eli preparing for that he needs to know physics??? I mean, I knew the kid was bright, but wow!
Amy