Monday, February 25, 2008

The trip was great, but the recovery has been awful!

We spent the weekend in Park City, Utah - part gymnastics team trip, part Matt's Eagle Court of Honor, part couple's getaway, part ski trip, part family reunion! Man, can we pack it in! I'll have pictures and more about that tomorrow. But today's post is devoted to the chain of events on Sunday. This will help you from feeling jealous about our trip.

Sunday morning:
We planned to drive up to SLC from PC to brunch at Adam's mom's house. At 10:30, we got a call from Lizzie's chaperone saying that there was a huge storm expected, so we better take Lizzie along with us in case the bus couldn't make it over the pass and we missed our flight later that night. We picked Lizzie up.

We stopped at Smith's and picked up some coolant for the car we borrowed that had been acting fussy all weekend. We poured in said coolant.

We start the drive, and the car overheats the second we start driving remotely at an incline. We pulled over and Adam checked under the hood. More coolant.

More driving. Stopping. More coolant. Driving. Stoppping. Coolant. Slow semi-trucks with their hazard lights on have to pass us. Adam finally just pours the coolant directly into the radiator. This does the trick and we end up only an hour late to the brunch. Aren't we nice guests?

The day continued smoothly for a while, and our master plan has worked beautifully: Move out of state, come back for a weekend, and get fed the best meals ever by your parents! Thank you for all the delicious food, everyone! I love that you love us with food!

We went to the airport to fly home to Phoenix. Luckily, the monstrous storm hasn't materialized enought to impede our travel. The flight was quick and easy; we landed and peeled off layers as we walked out of the airport at 10pm.

This is where things got interesting. See, we're cheap. And since Adam works literally across the street from the Airport Rental Car location, we thought we would beat the system. Instead of paying for long-term parking, he dropped us off, walked a few minutes and then caught the car rental bus to the airport. Beautiful. And free. So, when we got back, we took the car rental bus and Adam started the trek to the car while Lizzie and I waited with our stuff.

When he called my cell phone, I knew something was wrong. A child, who shall not be named, left a light on in the back of the car, and we didn't notice. The battery was completely dead. But somehow, my resourseful husband was able to get a jump from the deserted Honeywell parking lot at 11:30 pm on a Sunday night. Thank you Luis, wherever you are! Adam picked us up and we were finally on our way home.

I put Lizzie straight to bed - in her clothes - so she could get as much sleep as possible. We were all exhausted from too much fun this weekend. I had laid down and had been asleep for about 10 minutes when I heard Lizzie crying out. She had been complaining about her ears ever since we got off the plane, but now they were really hurting. I have never seen her in so much pain! We passed several long difficult hours until she finally fell asleep at about 3 am. No huge surprise that this morning the pediatrician told me she has a very bad double ear infection! Poor girl! The airplane ride must have been torturous!

So, with a few hours of sleep, and a crick in my neck to prove how awful the night was, we start our week! Payback for a ultra-fun weekend!

2 comments:

D/E G said...

Hey Aimee,
I thought I should say hi since we technically live pretty close, but have been clueless for the past year. We'd love to have your fam over sometime or something, though I see that you're at least as crazy busy as we are. I'm not sure if I should leave my phone number or email or what (I'm semi-paranoid), but let me know if you'd like to do something. gibbyfam.blogspot.com

Emily Gibby :)

Sage said...

Aimee-I admit I was feeling a tad jealous about your awesome trip. But sorry about the rough arrival home. That stinks. Hope the rest of the week went better.