Monday, February 4, 2008

I Got an Award! :)

Thank you for asking about the NATS (btw, that stands for "National Association of Teachers of Singing") competition! Here's what happened on Saturday.

The Short Version (stats only):
I had a great experience, and I won 3rd Place in my Division! Hooray for me!

The Long Version (including play-by-plays, commentary, and analysis):

Saturday was a wonderful day. I felt like a diva. "Yes, you may make breakfast for me... just no dairy, please" "Well, I suppose I'll let you drive me there so I can finish my makeup" "Can you help me put on all this bling? It's just so heavy" "I can't scold the kids - I need to protect my voice..." etc. etc. etc. =)

I was totally ready and not even nervous when I arrived. It was held at a local community college, and each division had its own set of 3 judges in our own room. I was in division 9W, meaning that I have had more than 4 years of voice lessons since high school, but do not have a degree in Voice. It's the Wild Card division; you never know who could be in it, and there's also no age limit like there are for the college divisions.

So, I sang the Bach, and they really liked it and asked me to sing the "Steal Me" aria, which went really well. That's the song that Amanda (my accompanist) and I worked on the most in her studio classes, and it went really really well. The only glitch was that for some reason unbeknownst to me I sang "kill me" instead of "steal me" in one of the phrases. It wasn't the really big moment, thank goodness, so hopefully they didn't quite notice. Because I know I didn't want to be killed. I just wanted to be stolen away by the attractive thief. There's a big difference.

Then they asked for the German song, and it was good. We still had time for the French, and I came this (I'm pinching my fingers together really closely) close to missing my entrance. It was weird, but by the first line I had totally recovered and it was a great, fast, flamboyant song.

We just had a couple minutes left, and I had one more piece, the Bellini, which is 5 1/2 minutes long. I told them the best part was at the end, and they said, well, sing fast. Anyway, I only got halfway through before I had to stop, which was a real shame.

So that was the audition. It was really nice that Adam was there to watch it. He's great at supporting me in my interests!

In the afternoon, they offered a master class from a professor from NAU (Flagstaff), which I went to and it was very interesting.

Then they did the awards ceremony right afterwards. They went by division, and announced finalists, honorable mentions, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place winners, and the 1st place winners went backstage immediately to pick a song to sing for the recital. So, they would do a group of awards and then have a recital with all the winners from the various divisions. As I was listening, I was feeling pretty good, like, yes, I could totally be on that stage and fit right in. It was a good feeling. My accompanist thought so too; right before our division went, she said, okay, what are we singing? =)

So, my group came up, and they announced my name for 3rd place! I was very excited. I was sad that I didn't get to sing in front of everyone, but when I came back to my seat, my voice teacher, Anne Kopta, was saying, "Oh! I'm so proud of you! And 2 of my students won." - so it another of her students that took first place. She said, "Don't feel bad, - you'll understand when you hear her sing." So, she sang "I Want Magic" from A Streetcar Named Desire and it was spellbinding. She was incredible. I was so honored to get 3rd place with her as the winner. I might have felt angry if a shoddy singer would have won. But I didn't. I felt honored. And also glad that we have the same teacher! She really was the best female voice of the day, including all the graduate and doctoral students.

So, it was a wonderful time. And I think I might take Tara's advice and make a cd while I'm in great vocal shape right now. That would be cool to have in several years.

I think this was something that I felt I needed to do. And I didn't figure this out until afterwards, but I think the reason is because I needed to know where I stood as a singer. Having never studied in school for this, I've only had my sister to compare to (not a healthy thing), or my fellow choir members, which really is a group that's after a different goal. So this was a chance for me to see how much "street cred" I've gained through my years in private study, against singers in my same situation and with the same goals. And it was nice to be judged and to have been found acceptable. I mean, for heaven's sake. The last time I was ranked and judged as a singer was at the end of my freshman semester as a voice major, and they cut me from the program. After one semester. So, I feel like (with the help of many others), that I've carved my own path and come a really long way. And that makes me feel good.

My Diva Day is over and it's back to diapers, laundry, driving kids places and teaching music lessons, but it was fun to be queen for a day! :)

9 comments:

greenkatz said...

Way to go, Aimee! You have been weighed in the balance and found wonderful! I'm glad to see you following your dreams.

Vickie

Christine said...

You're the best Aimee! What an inspiration. Seriously.

The Taits said...

You are SO awesome!! You are such a great example of what it means to multiply our talents. Kudos for all the hard work, and the reward is well deserved. I feel honored to be friends with a diva such as yourself. :)

Amy said...

You're right, you did need to do this. Finishing my degree gave me a lot of closure and it was nice to know just how far I could take the music thing. And now it's like a previous life, except that we'll always have the ability to perform (at least in church...). I'm thrilled for you and wish I could have been there to cheer for you. Can you hear me cheering from two time zones away??

Menner said...

Go Aimee! You inspire me.

After years of musical education I failed the first half of my senior recital, and therefore couldn't graduate until I passed it. Man, was that a blow.

At that time my mom had a bad accident and I had to move home to take care of her. So I was unable to do another recital. Then I met Brent and we got married, and one thing led to another and my life just moved on without my finishing my degree.

I can't tell you how that has just blasted my musical-self-esteem. It's like my lifelong fears that I really am a rubbish singer were confirmed in the most horrible and public way. Ouch. Ever since I haven't been able to talk about it and I've just focused on other areas of my life, not wanting to think about my musical failures (and consequently university failure). Who knew that being at the top of every class wasn't enough to graduate? I knew I should have majored in something else. But I digress.

After reading about your NATS experience, I have hope in myself again. I feel like I can continue to study and do well and I don't have to give up. So thank you for giving me the courage to face this!

Darcie said...

Congratulations Aimee! Not only on doing so well at the competition, but also for not giving up on your goal after marriage and kids. I'm finding that I need to kick start myself in a little hobby/talent, just so I don't lose myself during these child rearing years.

Palomita said...

Hi, Aimee -

Ii just noticed a link from Bonnie's blog to yours, and thought I'd stop in and say "hi!" Congrats on placing at NATS! I haven't taken any voice lessons since right before I auditioned for the choir, and when we moved to Colorado last summer, I got pregnant right away, and so haven't looked into it. (I'm due any day now with #4). Say hi to Adam for me!

Mary (Meyers) Marble

Daniel and Tara said...

Viva to the Diva! That makes me want to sing more, too. As soon as we move I'm getting a teacher.

By the way, I'm taking ballet with some other mom friends, so I'll be in a recital soon with my after baby belly and everything. I have so much less shame than ever before, and it's not too bad!

Aimee said...

Thank you ALL so much for your encouraging comments! I am lucky to have such kind friends.

Tara, Wow. That is awesome that you are doing ballet. How fun - and I bet it's an amazing workout to boot!

Mary Meyers Marble! Hi! How are you! Thanks for tracking me down! I loved looking for you in the MoTab Choir! We'll have to reconnect...

Maren, OH! I feel for you! I really do. How could they do that to you? Actually, I know how - very cruelly. It may take a while, but don't worry honey: you will be avenged. I know because I know you as a musician.

It took me years to get over the torture of that one year in college as a voice major. First, I thought that I didn't need music in my life, and then I realized that I absolutely did, and then I realized that there are many other ways to accomplish that without going through a university program.

So, here's to all the things you can learn outside of a university, after college!