Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm Having a Distractable (hold on one sec...) Day...

Today, I am baking. Snickerdoodles, to be exact. I am doubling the recipe for maximum efficiency. So, this means fractions are involved. Anyway, I have been so distractable today, that even with an entirely quiet house, my thoughts were distracting me so much that I put in 5 eggs instead of 4 and had to scoop the superfluous egg out. Then I forgot the baking soda at the end, so I had to replace the beater and mix it in. Then, after rolling my first moist cookie, I realized that I must have doubled the 2 3/4 cups of flour incorrectly. Having been only able to find my 1/2 cup measure, I figured that 2 and 3/4 cups flour times 2 was the same as 11 half cups. Wrong! Recheck your work, girl! It is 11 half cups plus a quarter cup! So again, I replaced said blade and mixed it in.

My whole intent in going fast is to multi-task. In fact, I pride myself on my multi-tasking abilities. Hold on one sec, the cookies are done. Okay, I'm back, what was I saying? Oh yes, I feel like I'm accomplishing so much when I multi-task! But I believe I have crossed the line when my brain is distracting itself. This is the very reason that Adam is in charge of all food-flipping tasks: french toast, pancakes and grilled cheese. Oh, I can start out just fine. But waiting is what gets me! I'm so impatient, I'll think of something else I can do real fast and of course I plan to come back before the food is browned. That's when Adam steps in and the next thing I know, he's serving me a perfectly grilled cheese sandwich and I've completely forgotten about said flippable food. We must be a good match.

Well, I have errands to run! Gotta go!

4 comments:

Sage said...

Kudos for making your snickerdoodles (even if you did have measuring issues)! I have been meaning to make this great pumpkin cake recipe all week, but today I mostly vegged in front of the tv because of my hectic week. Maybe tomorrow.

Aimee said...

So, before anyone else figures it out first, I realized that I was correct the first time - 11 half cups was right!

SP said...

Aimee, so I haven't had really any cravings during my pregnancy like you hear about--however, around October, I started to crave snickerdoodles. I don't have the nack for baking so Ken and I went out and bought the pre-made kind. I would have much preferred some of yours!!

Bonnie Wayne said...

I can definitely relate to that! I have some burnt dishes and dinners in my repetoire that burnt when I did not set a timer and figured I would rely on my innate sense to get them out of the oven. Then I start doing things on the computer, or cleaning up - probably both - and then many times I ask out loud, "Is something burning" and find out - INDEED - something IS burning - DUH! Yeah, totally understandable. I love the cookie story!