Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Brahms Concert

Our choir of about 150 singers got to perform Brahms' German Requiem this weekend with the Phoenix Symphony. The German Requiem is about an hour long, with two soloists, a soprano and a baritone, but it is mainly a choral piece. It is a spiritual journey of mourning for the death of a loved one; the comfort and the hope that comes from God, and the joy in knowing that they are at peace; praising the Lord that we will be able to join them again someday. What a wonderful experience it has been to be able to express those sentiments as a group of hundreds all with the same message! I will never forget it. Here's a few seconds of my favorite movement, #4: http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/brahms_requiem4.wav

Our soprano soloists had an absolutely incredible voice. Her name is Celena Shafer. I was telling my mom about her after our first big rehearsal, and then we figured out that she is a woman from Layton, Utah whom my mom had met when she sang as a soloist for the Salt Lake Symphony. She is LDS and a mother of three. How fitting it was that she sang the part of an angel saying she would comfort the mourner as a mother comforts her child. It was beautiful.

"And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you." John 16:22
"Ye see how for a little while I labor and toil, yet have I found much rest." Ecclesiasticus 51:27
"As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you. . . " Isaiah 66:13

5 comments:

Amy said...

I went to school with Celena at the U and loved her voice, but she was also so easy to hang out with. I used to sit outside the practice rooms, waiting for one to open up, and listen to her. Even her warmups were beautiful. How fun for you to get to sing with her -- I'm jealous that you have a decent choir to join!

greenkatz said...

I know the Requiem better in English than in German because I started singing it in HS just have the Tab Choir had recorded it in English (still my favorite recording of the piece). One part I just love is the baritone solo "Here on earth have we no continuing place." I also think Brahms does a much better job with the raising of the dead than Handel!

Vickie

chempianos said...

Celena sang the solo part when the Utah Symphony did the Requiem last year - I agree, she's terrific!

Anonymous said...

Celena was on the first "Salute to Youth" (Utah Symphony) concert I went to! I see her picture everywhere. She sings with the NY Phil every now and then. All my singer friends here know of her. I actually heard her do the Brahms with the Tab Choir. That solo is a BEAST to sing. And she sounded fantastic. I'm glad you got to do that piece, Aim.

Bonnie Wayne said...

That is so cool to be a part of that. I feel like I am in a music desert out here. So your blog is breathing the music element back into my conciousness!