Sunday, October 28, 2007

An Explanation...(actually, more like a Confession!)


Well, friends, I have not abandonded you! I tell you, I had a crazy week. I hardly had time to check my email at all! Let alone post thoughtful and humourous blogs! What was I doing, you ask? Well, the Phoenix Symphony Chorus had a concert this weekend and we had rehearsals or concert every single night of the week except Saturday. We did our last concert this afternoon. And guess what? Rehearsal is tomorrow night! Talk about burn-out! But that's not the whole reason I have left you hanging. There was something else....

Twilight! You know, the book everyone has been telling you to read! I was determined to be the only female in my religion Not to have read the book. You know, just to be obstinant. But, someone caught me at a weak moment...I had started a book I didn't like and had no back-up. I was bookless, to be perfectly blunt! My friend sprang on me and dropped her copy off for me at my doorstep. I had no choice - I started it that night.

Let's just say that I picked a bad week to start a gripping, page-turning 3 part novel of about 1800 pages total. It was like I was a vampire and I couldn't stop sucking the words off the pages of these books! I mean, what was I thinking?? I wasn't getting home till 10:30 pm at the earliest every night, and then I would start reading. But, like a true addict, I told myself that I didn't need as much sleep as everyone else, and that I could hold it all together. Oh, and that I could stop reading any time I wanted to. HA!

That theory worked fine. For a while. But then, a deadline loomed. Friday morning was the day that a group of women were going to meet for brunch to discuss the ins and outs of the Vampire world. "The Twilight Zone," we called it. By Thursday night, I found myself three hundred pages short of the end and even though I was reading backstage before we went on, I had to stop to sing with the choir at the opening night our concert!

So, I got home and after watching the requisite taped television shows with Adam (the Office was not as good this week!), I started reading around midnight, and with 60 pages still to go, I stopped at 3:30 am. I knew I could finish it up in the morning before the 10am deadline. Now, normally, I would be able to handle this, really. But this kind of behavior had been going on for about a week, and I was totally exhausted. I woke up Friday morning at 6:45 as usual, and got Lizzie off to school. Then Ivy got up and I got her breakfast, and then Eli got up and wanted to watch PBS. With the two of them getting babysat by Caillou, I decided it was nap-time for me.

*

*

*

Then the doorbell rang. I woke up. I looked at the clock. It was 9:10. I realized that it must be Eli's carpool there to pick him up for preschool. OH NO!!! He was still watching TV in his pajamas! And I had bedhead and sheet marks across my face! Doh. I embarassingly answered the door in my pj's, apologized all over the place, and told Valerie that I would drive Eli to school.

After getting all of us out the door, it ended up that Eli was late to school, I was late to the brunch, and I was still 60 pages short of the the end of the book!!!

So much for being able to handle it all!!

3 comments:

Christine said...

LOL!!

So am I the last one standing not to read these books then?

Darcie said...

Aimee, I must be the only one to not like that book. It took me 2 wks. to read, and when I was finished, ah, not that good. Why would anyone be infactuated with anyone else who has to supress the desire to kill you when you're together. Just couldn't buy into it.

Bonnie Wayne said...

That is hilarious - I totally go into those book catch up phases before out book clubs and I know how it gets! Also - how fun you also watch the office. We are HUGE fans ourselves!

"I thought about this day for a long time, but never pictured it to have so much manure in it. A little, maybe, but not this much."