Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Yes, I did turn 30.

I have actually started three different posts about this, but each time I have succumbed to overwhelming feelings of gratitude and humility.

Some of you out there know exactly what I'm talking about!

My sweet, dear husband, knows me very well. He knows that even though I protest, I love to be the center of attention on my birthday. And even though this year was a little crazy with the launch of our new business, the new school year, and the fresh virulent viruses that attacked all of us, he still found time to give me a meaningful gift.

My birthday morning was a Sunday, and I woke up with a raging sore throat and ear. I thought: "Ohhh! I'm thirty now, and my body is falling apart! I guess this is what it's like! (Moan, groan)" I stayed home that day and experienced what the house is like while everyone went to church. (It's eerily quiet!)

That night, Adam made me my favorite dish (Sun-dried Tomato Risotto), and then he gave me a packet of paper. This was to be my gift, and I was skeptical at best.

Then I realized what it was, and I started crying. It was a huge compilation from friends past and present, immediate and not-so-immediate family, all writing to me words of love and well-wishes. And stories and memories. It was like "This is your Life" from Sesame Street! (My dream come true). It was just so overwhelming - the tears kept coming as I read through every word. I hope all of you know how meaningful that was to me. I keep replaying the words in my head, so whether you meant it, or were just flattering me because you think we might be rich someday, I cherished every. single. word.

The reason I haven't written and thanked you all sooner is because I am overwhelmed! I didn't know what to say that could express what gratitude I feel at all of your friendships.

Truly, this is the best gift.
Thank you!

4 comments:

Leslie Cosgriff McKinney said...

Aimee, You bless every life you touch. I am certain of it. And as a 31-year-old, let me just say that we are NOT old enough for aches and pains...yet. Maybe at 40?

Ultimate Poster Child for Optimism said...

for your birthday?? Anything!!!!

Sage said...

Dang! I got that email from Adam and thought how sweet a gift that was and started thinking of what I could say. Then I forgot! Sorry. Can I just say that even though I didn't get to know you as well as I would have liked, you always made me feel like you wanted to be my friend and that you liked me as a person. So what the first comment said is true. You touched my life for the better. Thanks! And as a 41 year old all I can say is that exercise makes all the difference! Don't give it up! Happy Birthday, Aimee!

Sage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.