Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jeepers Creepers

It's an indoor amusement park for kids. Think of the kiddie ride section at any big amusement park, and that's it. Just inside, with air conditioning.

In the words of Lisa Andrews: "I don't think I trust any place for kids with the word 'Creepers' in it."

Too true, sistah, too true.

So, I was less than excited for our final Happy Apple Field Trip on Friday at Jeepers Creepers. As expected, it was greasy employees manning kiddie rides, and as expected, Eli was over-excited beyond belief. As expected, Ivy caught the "creepy" vibe and was only willing to try the merry-go-round...and around and around and around while Eli raced from ride to ride trying everything and wanting it all to go faster, jolt harder, and create more inertia.

I was watching my watch.

But you know what? I started thinking how easy it is to please Eli at this age. Happiness was only a thrill away. And to Eli, the place was beautiful and magical and made all his daredevil dreams come true. I guess it won't be this easy forever to get a guaranteed shriek of joy and smile. And I started thinking that maybe someday when he's a difficult teenager, I might be wishing for a way to make him smile so easily.

And that made it worth it.


Not so much that I'm going back tomorrow or anything, though...

2 comments:

crazycool Steenhoeks said...

So true Amiee. Well said. They do grow up to fast...and the smiles come much slower. We love them small and happy.

Jenni said...

Oh Aimee - I just love that kid! He would probably get excited about cleaning grout in my kitchen! If only they could stay that way forever!