Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Arms are Killing me from that Cycling Class!

So, guess what?? I joined a gym! You can all breathe a collective sigh of relief for my health and well-being now. And this is no ordinary gym, it's Life Time Fitness, more like a resort. A very nice resort. It also helps that I am the last person I know to finally join this gym (except for you, Jane - what are you waiting for?!), so basically I know everybody there!

Well, Lisa took me to my first ever Cycling Class on Thursday. She told me it would kick my butt, and I was scared. It did, and it was awesome! I loved feeling so empowered.

By Thursday afternoon, I could feel my arms starting to cramp up. I was confused. Was this leftover from the weight class I tried on Tuesday? Strange.

By Thursday night, I couldn't extend my arms past a 90 degree angle. At all. I couldn't lift Ivy, I couldn't vacuum, I couldn't even fold the laundry! I was in SO much pain!!! To keep gravity from forcing my arms to extend, I kept them folded all day. I looked very reverent. When I had to move, I had to bend from the waist. Just picture C3PO. Yep, that's it. That was how I moved for 2 days.

I had book club Thursday night. You should have seen me trying to reach for the brownie plate! I had to keep my arms bent and lean my whole body over. That probably should have deterred me from eating, but we all know I'm not afraid to look like a fool - and come on, it was free brownies!

I puzzled over why in the world my arms would be cramped from a cycling class. I had expected to be sore from the waist down, not to lose control of my arms. Did I accidently cycle upside-down using my arms? No, I don't think I was that bad at the class. The only thing I can figure is that I must have been clenching the handlebars for dear life. For a solid hour. I didn't even notice I was doing it, but it's the only explanation!

You'll be happy to hear that as of this (Sunday) morning, I have finally regained full extension of my arms. Laundry, dishes and vacuuming are viable options once again. :(

Tomorrow, I need to work out my legs, so maybe I should do a rowing class?

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Woo-hoo! You can come to Yoga with me anytime you'd like! Although, that class makes my arms a little sore too... Of course, there's always the pool!

R.G. said...

Good for you!!!:> Although, now you've upped the count of women in the ward who can take me down by one.

Darcie said...

This post is a classic Aimee. Many good laughs were had by me.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.