Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's an Eli-ism too good for the side-board.

Tonight, Eli and I went to a recital on the ASU campus. As we were walking to the music building, we saw a very short woman. Well, she was a Dwarf. Or a Little Person or whatever is p.c. to call them now.

Eli walked past her, and I noticed they were about the same height. As I looked at her face, I could tell she was not in the mood to endure stares and "vertically challenged" comments. I started getting tense, anticipating that Eli would say something embarassingly obvious, like, "Wow! You're Short!" But she passed and he didn't say anything.

But while she was still in earshot, he said loudly to me: "Wow! That woman was OLD!"

I smacked my hand onto my forehead, John Morley-style, and felt bad for the woman who was so old that it superceded her Dwarf status.

4 comments:

Cambry said...

What a delightful lad! Thanks, Eli, I needed a laugh. I'm sure that woman found Eli's comment a refreshing change of pace.

Unknown said...

Gotta love that kid! Always good for a laugh :)

Elizabeth said...

Aim, I couldn't help but think of being in a certain elevator in a certain building in Boston with a certain little 4 year-old girl (named Aimee) who said very clearly, "Mommy, that lady has a witch nose!" (...that particular woman having a stong resemblance to the Wicked Witch of the West-nose-wise at least, and whom I had just met and was going to be spending the rest of the evening with!!!) I guess what goes around comes around! At least you and Eli could keep walking in the opposite direction from the "old" woman--I, on the other hand, was stuck in an ELEVATOR!!!!! I sort of just wilted in the corner til the unbearably awkward silence ended with the opening of the doors--thankfully!!!

Christine said...

LOL!! I love it! I love your childhood story too!