Monday, April 7, 2008

I've been inducted into the Eucher Group!

So, Phoenix Symphony Chorus had (another) concert this weekend: we did the Chichester Psalms by Bernstein (a first for me, and a joy to sing!), and we did Ravel's wordless "Daphnis et Chloe" (the music for a ballet). It was great.

(Sidenote: Adam and Lizzie came to the Friday concert, and I asked Lizzie what her favorite part was. She said, "I LOVED..." and here I thought she would say the piano soloist or the boy soprano soloist, but she said, "...the DOG!" There is a handicapped violinist who keeps her guide dog on stage, and apparently that was Lizzie's favorite part. But I digress...)

But what was ever better was that I was finally inducted into the Eucher group, even though I'm not a midwesterner. If you're asking yourself what "Eucher" is, you must not be from the midwest either. It's a card game that is played by midwesterners, in the midwest. And if they happen to leave the midwest, and they wanted to play, say in the southwest, they only play with other people who have lived in the midwest.

A group formed from our choir when we had some down time in between singing on concert nights back in November. This lady came over to a group of us and asked if any of us were from the midwest. My friend Lynn is from Michigan, and was swept away immediately! I was so confused! Nobody asked if anyone knew the game or if anyone wanted to play a card game, it was "Are you from the midwest?"

I was only invited to observe, which was a stretch since I have only driven through the midwest, or stopped there during layovers of flights.

But Saturday night, they were desperate for a fourth player, and with Lynn putting in a good word for me, they called me over! I made the disclaimer, "But I'm not from the midwest - are you sure?!!" and they cringed, but let me in anyway.

Having payed very close attention the last time they played, I caught on pretty quickly and held my own. That is, until the last hand when I called the trump to be "spades" when I actually meant to say "clubs." The game was confusing until I realized my mistake and laughed about it, but I'm pretty sure those midwesterners were thinking "Only someone not from the Midwest could make such a dumb mistake!"

So, it might have been the first, and perhaps the last time that a rogue player was allowed into the club!

2 comments:

Menner said...

Congrats, Aimee! I always knew you had that special something that would get you into the most exclusive clubs.

And I love the Chichester Psalms. They are so fun to sing. Sounds like you're enjoying your new choir. I'd like to get back to singing in a choir someday . . . . I sang for the Utah Symphony Choir and was rather shocked at what a poor choir it was. Maybe the Salt Lake Chamber Artists, or whatever they're called now, need an alto. Hmm.

greenkatz said...

Do you remember that story I sometimes tell, "Mr. Death and the Redheaded Woman?" Here's something from the beginning of the story: "But Mr. Death never touched nary a soul that day but Billy Be-Damn Bangtry, the one the girls was all crazy for. And Mr. Death no mor'en just laid a finger on him, so he didn't die right off, but lay there cold and sweatin', a-dying from a bullet in his belly that was shot off by a drunken cowpoke in a wild eucher game." You've got to watch those eucher games!