Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reliving my childhood

This week we are holding our summer camp - "Musicals and More!" There is much singing of show tunes, grandiose melodramatic emoting, and even choreography. I'm having a total blast.

Do you know how I spent almost every free moment of my childhood? There were two games I loved to play:

1 - Playing School. I was always the teacher.

And 2 - Creating a Show. I can't tell you the countless productions we created in our home - with song (usually interuppted with fits of giggling), dance (always less than graceful on my part), costumes (shabby chic), scenery (including an old sheet we colored on, used as a backdrop, then wouldn't let my mother throw away for at least a decade), tickets (to make it seem REAL!) and always an audience (bless their patient and longsuffering hearts). Topics ranged from the W.E.T.S. news show, to Starlight Express dance numbers, to reenacting the signing of the Constitution during a particularly patriotic phase.

Someday, when I have time and energy, I will post some of the incriminating evidence.

I would regularly enlist my sister, cousins, neighbor kids, church friends - anyone who was game, and we would perform to anyone who would listen.

This week, as I was leading a group 50 kids in song and dance, it all felt so familiar, and I realized, I've been preparing for this my whole life!!

So, thank you to my patient and encouraging parents, aunts and uncles, and the parents of the neighborhood kids I can't even remember names of. No, wait, Laura Serena, that was her name. Hope you're doing well, Laura!

Some things never change. And I'm loving it. :)

6 comments:

emo said...

YAY FOR HOMEMADE PERFORMANCES! Oh, how they shaped us.

emo said...

Oh yeah, and . . .

EVIDENCE! EVIDENCE! EVIDENCE!

We've got it, and we're gonna use it.

Cindy said...

The sweetest thing is how much the kids love it too! Ashley just LOVES summer music camp! We're glad you provided that for the kids this summer. :-)

Deborah said...

Too funny. Step aside, Miss Hannigan, Aimee is in the house!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I'm thinking we'd better procure the services of Col. Ollie North for your next big stage production--ah! The memories.....

Elizabeth said...

I'm thinking we'd better procure the services of Col. Ollie North for your next big stage production--ah! The memories.....