Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lizzie's Latest Writing

We have a budding writer in our house. Here's some of her latest compositions:

This one was a school writing assignment. They were given a prompt, and then had so many minutes to organize and compose. After she wrote this, she turned it into an elaborate game that is played at recess every day now.

"The Chronicles of Tarpia"

"Allrighty class, time to leave, it's two o'clock," said Mrs. Blark. My older sister, Elizabeth, and older brothers, Nic and Zack (10, 12, 11), are all in the same class. My name is Zippy (9), but my real name is Zipper. We didn't hear Mrs. Blark (she's our school 4th Grade teacher). We kept admiring the fierce alligator. Our class left. Finally, we realized our class had gone. It was getting dark.

We hid behind a black tarp as the zoo keepers put a blue tarp over the zoo. Then they were gone. The dark zoo then came alive. All the animals woke up. A coyote howled, signaling all the animals to get out of their strong cages.

A joey came up to us and asked who we were. The mother kangaroo (Butter) came up behind him and introduced us to her, queen of Tarpia, and the King of Tarpia, Cagee ("cuh-ghee"), was the coyote. But far off in the distance, King Buff (a bear), and Queen Tuff (a bear), Queen and King or Tania lived on the bad side. King Cagee gave Nic and Zack bright swords, Elizabeth a bow and arrow, and me, a bow and arrow as well. We became true members of Tarpia!

And now another school writing assignment: "Kwanga Ski Mountain Avalanche"

I was on my way to Kwanga Ski mountain with my mappy mother, fantastic father, brainy big brother, sweet little sister, and marvolous me! On our way there, I saw a mother reindeer and her two babies. When we had our skis on and all, we had an immediate snowball fight. I got hit 15 times and hit my brainy big brother 20 times. Then we went up the big ski lift. I was snowboarding, and I was an expert.

When we came to the bottom, we went up the ski lift again. But this time, we didn't go down smoothly. A streak of tiny snow rocks caused an avalanche. It was very narrow. In a couple seconds, it grew bigger, and wider, and bigger, and wider! I drew my board near and stopped it by coming down with my snowboard. "Go, go!!" I shouted to my family and other people. A couple older kids, like teenagers, helped me hold the avalanche since it was growing wider.

This all happened very fast, you got it? OK. Then everyone went to the bottom. Finally, I let go. I snowboarded swiftly next to the tumbling avalanche. It stopped right before it tumbled over my sweet small sister. Next thing I know, everyone is congratulating me for saving their lives. The next day, I was in the paper. What an awesome, exciting experience that was! The End

I love the humility of the heroine in this story! Okay, now finally for your poetry pleasure, here is a fun new little poem Lizzie wrote today:

"Birds"

Bird is sitting on a branch.
He is caring for his babies,
while the mother is
out searching for a ranch.

Why? to live on.
For they have no place to live.

Finally, she finds one.
and finally has to give
a worm to her hungry baby.
they all dance to their house,
they'll live there forever...

maybe.

No comments: