Friday, December 21, 2007

Whew! It's been awhile!

Sorry to my dedicated readers out there, I have deserted you for over a week! Shame on me! I have missed you too.

Well, it's that Crazy Christmas time of year, where everything builds up and builds up until you either get sick, have a total meltdown, or decide to hibernate and declare that you're actually of Jewish descent, so under no obligation to carry out the huge production that Christmas has become. You know you're in trouble when you find yourself envying your friend who is bedridden this month! (Sorry, Robyn, I admit, the thought did cross my head - but only for a second!!)

Being an actual true Christian, I decided against the Judaism option, so I have decided that the theme of this Christmas is "less is more" and I am determined not to get caught up in the madness. This plan sounds all good and well until I start comparing myself with others around me:

Do I have Christmas lights up on my house, outlining my roof and encircling our (dead) tree in the front yard?

Do I have unique, well-thought out and non-dollar-store gifts for all my children's teachers?

Did I have a Christmas family portrait taken - or even, for that matter, can I find a picture from 2007 where all five of us are in the same shot?

Can I find said picture before January 2008?

These are the questions that haunt me as a modern mother. So this year, I am taking a stand and determined not to feel guilty about either the things that I may have overdone because I love them, or the things that I just won't get to this year. And that has really given me peace of mind to be able to enjoy this time of year.

Peace (of mind) on Earth, Goodwill to Men!

5 comments:

Sage said...

Loved this post. I always see the other kids with their teacher gifts and feel inadequate about the regifted chocolates I threw in a bag at the last second. Yeah for Less is more at Christmastime! Merry Christmas!

R.G. said...

Aimee, you are welcome to come over anytime and put your feet up with me! :> I could help wrap presents? After all the rush the actual quiet of Christmas Day is so wonderful.

Aimee said...

Robyn! You're so sweet! I really felt guilty after thinking that it would be nice to be bedridden for a day or two, and of course, all my stress is of my own doing and pretty much due to my lack of proper planning, so really, I have no excuse!! I'm still trying to think up some simple recipes for you - I'll get those to you soon!

Leslie Cosgriff McKinney said...

Aimee, You are so funny...I never do more than the bare minimum at Christmastime...or most any other time for that matter!! You will always be MY overachiever!! I miss you by the way and have been enjoying reading your blog!

Darcie said...

Oh, such truth in this post! I feel like I'm either overextended or not extended enough in most life events. I need to find the balance . . . or like you said, just not worry about it!