Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I have re-assumed my position behind the kitchen sink

I'm back! After a way fun weekend of wearing earrings and heels and red lipstick and eating out, I am back home.

A little weekend wrap-up:
Oh, how I miss these gorgeous mountains! On Friday, we drove to Heber for a rehearsal with our accompanist. At least, that was our excuse.


Dad took us to Asian Star - so delish.

On Saturday night, I attended my mom's Salt Lake Symphony concert. They had a cimbulom soloist. I've always wanted to hear a cimbulomist!!. . . Actually, I didn't know what it was. It's kind of like they took the inside of a grand piano and handed the guy (his name was Igor - Igor the Cimbulominst) some mallets, and he just went wild. The resulting sound was surprisingly lovely. I love the cimbulom, don't you?
Outside Libby Gardner Hall, they have a new picture of my dear old voice teacher, Betty Jeanne Chipman. She wasn't able to come to the concert because she contracted bronchitis from a student! She's like a grandmother to me.

Since the Assembly Hall would not allow any recording of any kind, we got together on Sunday night and recorded the whole concert.

My mom and Anne have been friends for almost 30 years. Do you know how they met? When my family moved from Boston to Philadelphia, they had an extra refrigerator. So, they put an ad in the paper to try to sell it - in this little paper called The Philadelpia Inquirer. Who was the first person to see the ad and call about the fridge? Anne Woodard, that's who. While talking on the phone, they realized they were both from Utah and had both recently moved to the area. Then they started playing together, and the rest is history. She ended up moving to Heber City a few years ago. But she never bought that fridge.

What an honor it was to perform with these musical giants! They are amazing women and I'm lucky to have had the chance to work with them. Let's do it again sometime, ladies!

3 comments:

emo said...

AWESOME POST! I love seeing the behind-the-scenes footage!

Sage said...

Are you going to post the concert that was recorded for us somewhere? I can't believe I only missed it by a day!

I was in the canyon yesterday and it was gorgeous! Thanks for the Heber photo.

Aimee said...

Yes - as soon as I get my greedy little hands on it! My sister Whitney is making a DVD for us and will mail it out, so it will be a little while! I'll definitely post some songs for you!