Saturday, February 20, 2010

Induction

No, this is not a post about labor and delivery, but a different kind of "induction." An induction to be a True Arizonan!

We Stewarts were inducted into the club tonight by the Andrews (native Arizonans), through the participation of preparing and eating the exotic side dish I like to call Cactus. Because it was just that - a Prickly Pear, to be precise. Here's the before, (notice the pricklies have been removed):

And the After (they've been grilled on the BBQ):
Tempting, no? Well, if it was really that good, I think we'd be eating it a lot more, because there's no shortage of cactus around here. To me, it tasted kind of like green chilies; Adam says like a sweet green bean. Which begs the question: Does Cactus fall into the Vegetable category? I just want to know if I can count this as part of my "5 a Day"...hmmmm.

We certainly had our "meat category" fulfilled tonight with all this Carne asada. Muy Delicioso! (You'll have to excuse me, sometimes we True Arizonans break out into a little Spanglish - it just happens.)

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Another native AZ tidbit - prickly pear jelly is actually really good! Better than the actual plant I thought. AZ survivorman tip: you're supposed to suck the water out of those if you're ever stranded in a desert and need water. Or a more practical application would be a hot day in your backyard (whichever comes first). Just another thing your kids will learn growing up here in the Grand Canyon State!

Ward said...

Agree, cactus jelly..num num